(For 7-8 modaks)
For the dough/cover/pastry:
1) 1 Cup maida/all purpose flour
2) 2-3 teaspoons of sooji/cream of wheat
3) Pinch of salt
4) 2-3 teaspoons of oil/melted ghee
For the filling/stuffing:
1) 2 cups of freshly grated coconut
2) 1 cup of sugar
3) 1 cup of Khoya/Mawa/Khawa (Check next recipe for homemade Khoya)
4) 1/3 cup of dry fruits - raisins, pistachio and cashew nuts
5) 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
6) 4-5 saffron strands
7) 3 teaspoons of dry roasted poppy seeds/ khas khas
8) 2 teaspoons of ghee
In a bowl, add maida, sooji, salt, oil/ghee and knead using proper amount of water to make stiff and smooth dough.
1) In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons of ghee
2) Add, coconut and stir for about 4-5 mins.
3) Add, sugar, dry fruits and khoya. Stir for 1-2 mins.
4) Switch off the heat.
5) Add, cardamom powder, saffron strands and dry roasted poopy seeds
1) Take small balls of the dough and roll it into a circle of about 3 inches in diameter (poori size)
2) Add a spoonful of khoya-coconut mixture (stuffing)
3) Bring all the ends together and seal it by making a small peak on the top
4) Make 7-8 modaks
5) Heat the oil and deep fry the modaks
Deep fried MODAK