Dakre wali Kadi / Gatte ki Kadi
1) 1.5 cup of gram flour or besan
2) 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds or jeera
3) Pinch of ajwain
4) 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
5) 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
6) 2-3 tablespoons of oil
7) 1 teaspoon of salt
8) 1 tablespoon of crushed kasoori methi (optional)
9) 1 teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds
1) 3-4 tablespoons of oil/ghee
2) 2-3 whole red chili
3) 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
4) 1 small onion, chopped
5) 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
6) Salt to taste
7) 4-5 sprigs of coriander, chopped
1) Mix all ingredients and make a firm dough using oil and warm water (Fig. 1).
2) Divide the dough in 6-7 and roll them as shown in fig. 2
3) Boil 4 cups of water and place there logs in the hot water. Let it boil for 6-7 mins. They are cooked when they stats floating. (fig. 3)
4) Remove it from hot water. Let it cool for a min. or so. Cut them in small pieces as shown in fig. 4 and set them aside.
For Kadi: (You can use curd in this recipe but my mom's recipe does not include any curd and my taste is developed without it...)
1) In a pan, add oil. Add, mustard seeds and whole red chili. Stir for few secs.
2) Add, chopped onion and salt. Cook for 1-2 mins.
3) Add, dakre and stir for 3-4 mins. Sprinkle water in between. Add Red chili powder.
4) Add 3 cups of water (You can use the leftover water after boiling)
5) Give it 1-2 boils. Switch off the heat. Add cilantro. After cooling gravy will become thick.
Dakre wali Kadi
Recipe by Geetanjali S. Mahadik