1) 15-20 serrano peppers, chopped (or the one we get in Indian grocery stores)
2) 1/2 cup of chopped ginger
3) 2-3 teaspoons of salt
4) 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
5) 1/2 teaspoon of Kalonji
6) 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
7) 1 tablespoon of amchoor powder
8) 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
9) 1 teaspoon of methi seeds
10) 1 teaspoon of sauf or fennel seeds
11) Pinch of hing
12) 1/3 cup of vegetable oil or edible mustard oil
1) Wash, dry and cut green chili and ginger.
2) Shallow fry them (Fig. 1)
3) In a clean jar add, shallow fried green chilies and ginger, salt, turmeric powder, kalonji, red chili powder, and amchoor. Mix well (Fig. 2)
4) Using mortar and pestle grind - mustard seeds, methi seeds, fennel seeds and hing. (Fig. 3)
5) In a small pan heat 1/3 cup of oil. Switch off the heat. Add, the grinded mixture (from step - 4) to the oil. Stir it and let it cool for 20-30 mins. (Fig. 4)
6) Add mixture from step 5 to the jar. Stir it. Close the jar and let it sit in sunlight or room temperature for 1-2 days.
7) You can store this pickle in refrigerator for a month.
|Green Chili and Ginger Pickle|